Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CDC: Kids are safer in school than in the community
At least that's what they're reporting after a Wisconsin study:

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-c...SL4N2K13ID

What a shock, yet we're still locked down in CA. Science driven my ass.
Here is the link to the report.

Some of the key words are "known to have gotten COVID at school", which suggests they threw out any cases where they couldn't document where the disease came from. (" School-attributable COVID-19 case rates were compared with rates in the surrounding community") Since they weren't testing for asymptomatic children, they had at least one eye closed. As we know from the CDC reporting that masks were not recommended, one has to be careful interpreting things like this.

Edit: And, they only called it COVID when a PCR test was done. I have come to realize just how hard it is to get a kid (or an adult for that matter) to some COVID test appointment. If you think you've got COVID because you have symptoms, you don't just walk into your neighborhood pharmacy and get a test. No, you've got to make an appointment where they take infected people, probably at a drive-up site or clinic (where you'll have to see a doctor first). I've twice thought I might have symptoms and found no easy way to get tested without a hassle or several days delay. I know a single mother & two little kids with presumed COVID currently (the source of the exposure did get a positive result). None of them are up to piling into a car for getting a test.

By the way, thanks for properly calling it "a Wisconsin study". Various news reports are referring to as a CDC study. None of the authors are affiliated with the CDC nor does the report indicate any association of the study with the CDC. (Anyone know how such studies wind up at the CDC? Does the CDC run their own publication, or do they pick stories they feel are important from publications. I don't see this study as having been submitted for publication somewhere. The paper is marked "Early release January 26" (today). I don't see this study has gotten any peer review. I don't see any notices that it hasn't been peer reviewed. (It references data from just days ago, but the study could have been peer reviewed with the data updated.)
(01-27-2021, 12:10 AM)M_T Wrote: Here is the link to the report.

Some of the key words are "known to have gotten COVID at school", which suggests they threw out any cases where they couldn't document where the disease came from. (" School-attributable COVID-19 case rates were compared with rates in the surrounding community")  Since they weren't testing for asymptomatic children, they had at least one eye closed.  As we know from the CDC reporting that masks were not recommended, one has to be careful interpreting things like this.

By the way, thanks for properly calling it "a Wisconsin study".  Various news reports are referring to as a CDC study.  None of the authors are affiliated with the CDC nor does the report indicate any association of the study with the CDC.  (Anyone know how such studies wind up at the CDC?  Does the CDC run their own publication, or do they pick stories they feel are important from publications.  I don't see this study as having been submitted for publication somewhere. The paper is marked "Early release January 26" (today).  I don't see this study has gotten any peer review.  I don't see any notices that it hasn't been peer reviewed. (It references data from just days ago, but the study could have been peer reviewed with the data updated.)
Haven't asked, but the study was done in part by doctors at UCD, one of whom I traded brief posts with yesterday. Apparently, similar studies have found similar results, I think one in NC, but haven't had the time to research it. . ..
From the study: "But no systematic COVID-19 screening was conducted in the schools or the community." Hard to know what the study showed or didn't show.

We do know that children almost never die from Covid. We know that they are much less likely to have long term sequelae than adults. We know that they are less infectious, likely due to less forceful breathing. The issue with schools and Covid has never been about child safety. It's about teacher safety, parent safety, and grandparent safety. That's where teachers' unions and parent groups have objected to school openings.

It's always hard to get humans to behave rationally due to statistics. If they did, everyone would get every vaccine. No one would be afraid to fly. Etc.