Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time to start producing the next vaccine?
M_T:

I do not see why vaccine production is a zero sum game. I never said to divert resources, I said we should use money to create new capacity.

I do agree that we can not afford to reduce production of current vaccines. The faster we vaccinate, the fewer the deaths, the fewer opportunities to breed new variants.

I do not understand your comment "If you mean "test", are you thinking that we stop the current testing on 12-16yo so they can be approved some day?" because I did not mention the word "test" nor did I discuss 12-16 year olds.

I did, however, comment on the fact that new flu vaccines are introduced yearly. I don't know the time frame, but they clearly don't have phase 3 trials. Decision on the new strain and production take way less than a year. How do they do that? Do they assume safety due to some measure of similarity to a prior flu vaccine? It's a good question because a vaccine designed for a covid variant may benefit from such a thing.

RE "If you mean "design", that may be ok". May be OK? How would this worsen the crisis? How could some scientist developing the next vaccine in a laboratory harm our currently insufficient production capacity.

cardcrimson:

I suppose I am more cynical than you. After the "second doses that were withheld disappearing" I wonder what other skeletons are in our vaccine manufacturing closet.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it time to start producing the next vaccine? - by ChrisGreene - 01-20-2021, 12:50 PM