Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masks/Respirators
If you haven't seen the useful data of the "MaskNerd", Aaron Collins, you should have.

Fairly recently, he did an interview with the 3M VP of Personal Safety Division.  There are some nuggets in there.

What's the difference between masks and respirators?
  Masks are designed to keep droplets from getting into or out of your nose and mouth.
  Respirators are designed to protect your respiration system (lungs).

What does "single-use" mean with regard to masks or respirators?
  It means they are not designed to be cleaned and re-used.  (ie, you can reuse them but don't try to clean them.)

When do you need to replace a respirator?
  • When it becomes difficult to breath through
  • When it becomes visibly dirty
  • When it fails (strap breaks, nose piece breaks)
  • When it becomes loose (no longer seals)

The VP's final plea was, if you are going to wear a N95 respirator, use both straps - one up high on the head, one down on the neck.

The VP points out that the 3M site has where you can buy 3M masks and know they are genuine.  Among the retail outlets for the 9205+ are Home Depot and the 3M store on Amazon.

------
The mask I use for long periods is the 3M Aura 9205+ which is mentioned several times.  The VP said it is designed to fit most faces, and it comes in only one size.   Aaron Collins describes it as a boat-style.  It has a flat surface that is parallel to the face with the long dimension that wraps around the face.   It has sides that cover the nose and the chin.

It isn't as easy to put on or take off as the ear-loop KN95 masks.  I prefer them for a quick trip into a store.
--------

Some personal thoughts on masks/respirators:

Beards are going to be a problem. If I had a beard, I wouldn't use a cup-style mask, as the seal would be terrible. I'd use a bifold or boat-style mask. I'd get a very large one so it might fit over the beard.

For males, beard stubble can be a problem. You want to be clean shaven so the seal works best.

Most of the time, I would wear a mask for long periods only when I'm in an air-conditioned environment. Not today though. I am finding that if when I'm sweaty and have a bit of stubble, the boat-style mask is irritating my face. I think it is rubbing salt into the beard pores. If you're going to be sweaty, maybe a cup-style mask would have less irritation (I don't know that).

-----
I've been thinking about the use of a respirator mask when you have COVID. Does it keep the virons inside the mask in this case, as it keeps them out normally? The best I can answer is "Maybe". Certainly the mask should be handled differently.

Messages In This Thread
Masks/Respirators - by M_T - 06-22-2022, 06:54 PM
RE: Masks/Respirators - by M_T - 06-24-2022, 12:06 PM
RE: Masks/Respirators - by NoGoldenCalves - 07-26-2022, 03:59 AM
RE: Masks/Respirators - by M_T - 07-30-2022, 04:25 PM
RE: Masks/Respirators - by NoGoldenCalves - 10-09-2022, 05:00 AM