Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California Community Vaccine Advisory Committee meetings
Short answer: no, hypertension doesn't qualify you for an earlier vaccine.

Long answer:  I am presuming a bit here.  The actual wording used (by the CDC) isn't clear.  I have written to the California committee to try to clarify the language, but population numbers indicate one of the meanings.

The CDC reviewed a number of studies and broke the list of medical conditions into 2 groups.  If you have a condition in one group, you "are at increased risk".  If you have a condition in the other group, the evidence isn't as strong yet, so they say you "might be at increased risk".

Those in the first group include about 41% of the US population (110M of the 355M 18+).  I think I recall that if you add in the 2nd group, it is something like 56% of the population (actually, I'd think it would be higher).

1st group: (counts toward getting a vaccine earlier)
  • Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
  • Down Syndrome
  • Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
  • Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
  • Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 kg/m2 or higher but < 40 kg/m2)
  • Severe Obesity (BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2)
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Smoking
  • Type 2 diabetes mellitus
Second group: (not counted as a underlying medical condition for the purpose of a vaccine)
  • Asthma (moderate-to-severe)
  • Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Hypertension or high blood pressure
  • Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines
  • Neurologic conditions, such as dementia
  • Liver disease
  • Overweight (BMI > 25 kg/m2, but < 30 kg/m2)
  • Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)
  • Thalassemia (a type of blood disorder)
  • Type 1 diabetes mellitus

Messages In This Thread
RE: California Community Vaccine Advisory Committee meetings - by M_T - 01-13-2021, 10:01 AM