Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masks/Respirators
(07-30-2022, 04:25 PM)M_T Wrote: According to Aaron Collins testing, the Flo Mask can use 2 different filters. 
Everyday filter:  Easy to breath (pressure drop 0.14 inches of water) but only 94% filtration.
Advanced filter:  Hard to breath (pressure drop 0.39 inches of water) at 98.89% filtration.
(For comparison, 3m 9205+ (pressure drop 0.28 inches of water) at 99.4-99.7% filtration.

When my nephew was thinking of these, I looked at their web page, and their fit IN THEIR ADVERTISING media.  In particular, look at the glasses of the man in the bottom right.  Certainly for that man, the mask and glasses didn't work together.

My impression is that cup-style masks are likely more susceptible to leakage when the face shape alters (talking, smiling) and have less tolerance for facial hair differences during the day for men.  The mass of the respirator and the distance of its center of gravity from the seal would seem to make it more vulnerable to loss of seal when the head moves sideways or vertically, unless the straps are quite tight.  But I haven't tried the Flo Mask.

Collins apparently didn't test the Envomask, or else maybe it didn't fit him so a test would have been inappropriate.  It seems to be a very small (lower lip to part way up the nose; NIOSH certification terms it a "quarter mask") plastic respirator.  IT HAS AN EXHALATION VALVE, which is probably why they said some airlines don't allow its use.  So it doesn't protect those around you if you have COVID, unless the user plugs the exhalation valve.  [Rereading your post, I suspect you meant  "I use the exhaust valve PLUG to prevent..."  That would explain the condensation buildup in such a small filter area.]

But, then I don't know how  the 3M 9205+ fits your face.  I find it a bit small and the part that goes under my chin has a tendency to slide forward.  While it works for me, if I were 6'4", it might be too small.  Collins's data set does show some good, larger single-use("paper") masks, but I haven't tried them.

Yes, I meant that I used the plug, thank you. I have transitioned to the FloMask by the way and I really like it. The seal is great, and I trust the seal more than the 3M 9205+, although I've done a fit test with neither of them. The FloMask is easier to take off and put on than either the Envo Mask or the 3M 9205+. I still keep 3M 9205+s in my car and at my door in case I temporarily misplace the FloMask, or if I need to hand one to someone so they can put it on.

really quiet around here these days, huh?

Messages In This Thread
Masks/Respirators - by M_T - 06-22-2022, 06:54 PM
RE: Masks/Respirators - by M_T - 06-24-2022, 12:06 PM
RE: Masks/Respirators - by NoGoldenCalves - 07-26-2022, 03:59 AM
RE: Masks/Respirators - by M_T - 07-30-2022, 04:25 PM
RE: Masks/Respirators - by NoGoldenCalves - 10-09-2022, 05:00 AM