Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difficulty in getting appointments
(04-01-2021, 01:41 PM)M_T Wrote: Correcting myself: FEMA is not shutting down all vaccination sites.  FEMA is continuing to open new sites.  Some are in high infection areas; some are in low infection areas.

The two California FEMA sites (Oakland & LA) are shutting down.  (Makes sense. CA is relatively low on infections and middle of the pack on vaccinations.)
The early FEMA site in Pennsylvania appears to be shutting down.  (They are opening a different one.)

I don't know about the other early FEMA sites (TX, NYC, FL, IL, NC).  Are they timing out like CA?  NYC is very high on infections.

The former administration, with concurrence of the governors, established a policy of distributing vaccine according to population.   The current administration appears to be doing things differently.
Saw on the news this morning that Alameda County is trying to keep the Coliseum site open for at least another month. The more needles in arms, the better.
Studies indicate that a single dose of Pfizer or Moderna provides more protection than Johnson & Johnson.

The Lancet

The CDC did a study in the US with people that get a lot of exposure and confirmed the effectiveness of one does. 

I am not medically competent to decide this, but I think it would be a lot smarter for people without known risks to wait 12 weeks for the second dose. Manitoba, Great Britain, and Israel have already performed this experiment with excellent results. The effectiveness is even better when one considers the likelihood of serious illness rather than infection.

Vaccinating 2 people to 80+ percent rather than one to 90+ percent may actually be better for the individual that gets one dose over those 12 weeks if it helps bring the incidence rate down. 

I can't set public health policy (which is a good thing), but do I delay my second dose if vaccines are scare when the time comes so someone else can have it?
(04-10-2021, 06:32 AM)ChrisGreene Wrote: Studies indicate that a single dose of Pfizer or Moderna provides more protection than Johnson & Johnson.

The Lancet
Actually, the 80% effectiveness of the mRNA first doses is only known for the 1 to 2 weeks from 2 weeks after the first dose until the 2nd dose is given.  The 67% figure for J&J is from 2 weeks after the shot until end of study.  Whether the first dose of the mRNA first doses continues to be effective or fades is not known.  (I would have thought it like lasts for at least 4 months.)
On Saturday morning, I helped my son get an appointment for a Pfizer vaccination at a particular pharmacy in SoCal for a date after vaccines are open to everyone 16+. Within an hour or so, his appointment was cancelled, without explanation.

We'll try again Sunday. I'm less optimistic, but we're going to try.