Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Texas" vaccine / CORBEVAX
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/10/19/...ter-hotez/
Interesting. The question seems to be what is holding it back, if anything? I didn't see any mention of trials except saying a Phase I trial started in India about Dec. 2020 (that would be roughly a half-year after Pfizer).
ClinicalTrials.gov didn't have any hit on "Corbevax".

Perhaps a problem is that the business plan doesn't have a path for making money, so the cost to do the trials isn't happening, at least not in the US. That would mean that it would take someone with big pockets (ie, a government, or the U.N.) to fund trials.

Thanks for posting. (I should bookmark that publication. I believe you've posted from it before.)
Wikipedia says that Phase II completed in April 2021. India started Phase III in the same month. The US internation Development Finance Corporation is funding manufacturing so that it can make 1B doses by end of 2922.

It's worth reading Wikipedia because they have references for these claims. 

My take is that the US already has purchased more doses than it needs. It makes no sense to do trials in the US. India is the smartest place to start due to their well developed industry. If the numbers above are true, people are taking this seriously.
This seems like a really big deal. Or as one of the doctors at Texas Children’s Hospital said, a BFG. Together with Baylor Medicine and the Indian vaccine and pharmaceutical company Biological E. Limited  they've developed CORBEVAX a vaccine for Covid-19 and released it with no patent so anyone can produce it locally anywhere. I don’t know anything about the science but it is a protein based vaccine, not an mRNA vaccine. I hope this news is as big of a deal as it sounds. 

https://www.texaschildrens.org/texas-chi...-emergency 
Note: I merged NoGoldenCalves's "CORBEVAX" thread into this earlier one about the same product.

I'm not aware that there has been a trial of this vaccine in the US nor is there a US EUA for it.
Texas Children's Hospital developed (or partially developed) the product. TCH's press release indicates that it has received an EUA in India for its use.

The COVISHIELD product they compare it to is apparently the AstraZeneca vaccine.

The press release indicates it "is indicative of" vaccine effectiveness of > 90% against the original strain and > 80% against Delta for prevention of symptomatic infection. The "indicative" phrasing must mean they are depending on a lab measurement rather than clinical trials (where would they have found enough patients with the original strain to get any measurement?).

They also say that it had < 30% drop in immune response at 6 months.

(FYI, I had my tonsils removed at TCH. In full disclosure, I have a relative who works at Baylor College of Medicine (but, as far as I know was not involved in this.))
I ran across another article on this today.   It also did not mention US testing, but rather other countries.
There is a well-respected video blog "This Week in Virology" (TWIV).
I saw a fund-raising Q&A broadcast just before the end of the year, where the host Vincent Racaniello was asked about CORBEVAX, and he said he didn't know anything about (nor did his cohost).

In the regular show on January 1, the host & guest speaker had looked into it and offered their opinions, which were between doubtful and dubious.  If you're interested, pick up the video here.
(01-04-2022, 06:52 AM)M_T Wrote: There is a well-respected video blog "This Week in Virology" (TWIV).
I saw a fund-raising Q&A broadcast just before the end of the year, where the host Vincent Racaniello was asked about CORBEVAX, and he said he didn't know anything about (nor did his cohost).

In the regular show on January 1, the host & guest speaker had looked into it and offered their opinions, which were between doubtful and dubious.  If you're interested, pick up the video here.

The last link to the video got garbled for me. I think you meant this video at about 20 minutes in:    

Although their concerns about the adequacy of testing seem reasonable, the part about "why do they need this" totally misses the point. For a lot of the world, the mRNA vaccines are not an alternative. For much of the world, the question is not whether it is a reasonable substitute for mRNA vaccines. The relevant question is whether it is helpful for a large mass of people that have no access to vaccine.